The Ethos of Disruption
Novelis is in the process of shifting our whole business model from a traditional linear model to a closed-loop model. We are embracing an entirely new way of thinking and operating in order to radically transform our company – and, in the process, lead the way in our industry.
FY13 Highlights: 43% recycled content and introduction of the evercan™
Two years ago, Novelis laid out an ambitious vision aimed at strengthening the long-term competitiveness of our business through sustainability and innovation. We are still in the early stages of our sustainability journey, with many hurdles yet to overcome, but our efforts are already beginning to bear fruit. In FY13, we:
- achieved 43% recycled inputs, up from 33% two years earlier and on track to meet our goal of 80% by 2020
- improved our energy efficiency by nearly 20% and reduced our absolute GHG emissions by 14%, water intensity by 16%, and waste by 11% since our baseline
- launched a highly successful inaugural global month of service for employee volunteering
- held the most global World Cup employee soccer and volleyball tournament to date
- continued to engage employees in sustainability through talent development programs and increased performance reviews
- began operations at a new can recycling facility in Yeongju, South Korea, the largest fully integrated beverage can recycling system in Asia
- broke ground on a plant in Nachterstedt, Germany, that will be the largest aluminum recycling facility in the world
- introduced the evercan™, the first-of-its-kind, independently certified, high-recycled content aluminum beverage can sheet.
For more details on our FY13 progress and how we are radically transforming our business, see the microsite for our FY13 Sustainability Report: Sustainability Through Disruptive Innovation
. The report, which was GRI-checked at Application Level A, follows the Global Reporting Initiative G3.1 Guidelines and also contains Novelis' second Communication on Progress to the United Nations Global Compact.
Download a PDF of our FY2013 Sustainability Report
, or view it online